Thursday, November 26, 2009

Canyonlands Half

Man oh man. I really can't believe that I actually just registered myself for the Canyonlands Half marathon coming up in March. I am sitting here wondering what in the world I am thinking and also telling myself that somehow I can do it. It is a lottery to get in and while a little part of me secretly (or not so secretly now) is thinking that maybe our group won't get in, it would absolutely be something so different for me to train and accomplish for.

I started the couch to 5K just over two months ago and seriously wondered how I would ever run a mile. Especially seeing that I haven't ran since highschool and even in highschool did it but didn't really love one minute of it. Needless to say, the C25K was hard for me. It kicked my butt. And I am sure I looked like a huge dork running on the track. What's a girl to do.

Five weeks ago, I decided to join our neighborhood gym to get my butt in better shape than I have been for the last 8 years. It is crazy how much I really can do and I am already feeling better and seeing results. I know I can push myself to do things that I never thought I could. And the half marathon isn't going to be any different. Somehow, I am going to drag my big butt acrossed that finish line and feel accomplished doing it. Even if I have to walk part of the way.

I will be running the half marathon with a group of some of the best friends a girl could ask for. They have promised me that they won't leave me laying on the side of the road and that I can do this. They are such an inspiration to me for so many reasons.

First of all there is Nakia...she is such an inspiration to me. She is bound and determined and is constantly inspiring me to keep going and to just give it a try. When I am feeling like there is no way I can ever do it, I just have to talk to her for two seconds, read her blog or FB her and she makes me feel like I can do it and we'll be there for each other cheering each other on.

Then there is Kimmie. Kimmie ran her first half marathon last year and it was her idea that we all get together and run a half marathon this year (Kim, what were you thinking. lol). I totally thought she was kidding until she started talking to me about running shoes and shorts and all sorts of other things that I really would have no clue about. Kim is a quiet giant. She has been through more than a person should really have to endure over the last year and a half and yet is always there for everyone else when they need it. She is such a wonderful friend to me. More wonderful than she will probably ever know.

And Lindsey. Lindsey is a runner. She has ran her fair share of half marathons. She is constantly telling us all that we can do it and that it is going to be so much fun. She does it in such a way that I almost start to believe her. lol She makes it so that I can envision it...all of us cheering each other on and waiting for each other at the finish line.

So as crazy as it sounds (which it still does for me) I think I can do this. We'll see how it goes and maybe by the time the lottery comes around I will actually really be hoping that we get in.

1 comment:

  1. You absolutely can do it, and what an accomplishment it will be! I'm jealous, but vow to start trying to catch up to all you in shape gals once April comes.

    ReplyDelete