Monday, May 21, 2012

Get Crafty: Repurposed Drink Holder

Mother's Day was just last week and with school coming to an end, I thought I'd share a simple gift idea that we made for our moms for Mother's Day that could easily be adapted as a Teacher's Gift as well. I tend to keep all sorts of containers because 1) I hate to throw them away and 2) even though I believe in recycling, I still love to reuse things whenever possible, especially random containers.
Here's what you will need:
  • Drink holder (you didn't need a good excuse for a Sonic drink run did you?)
  • 4 different flowers (3" pots work best but you can also cut the 6-pack into three sections and they fit perfectly)
  • 2 Tags (I found mine in the clearance section at Michael's and they were perfect! you could also use the front of a card, a piece of scrapbook paper, or find a little image online and print it out)
  • Ribbon

 Step 1: Put the flowers in each spot of the drink holder. (It is already looking fantastic, isn't it!)
Step 2: Punch holes in both ends of the tags. For one of my tags, I added another little tag for Mother's Day. The other tag, I cut off the ribbon it came with and just punched the holes. 
Step 3: Cut enough ribbon to wrap around the drink holder and to tie a bow (I used about 5 ft.) and string it through the holes you punched on the tag, going behind each tag. You now have a long ribbon with two tags. 

Step 4: Wrap the ribbon around the drink holder and slide the tags over to center them on each side. In this case, perfectly covering up the Sonic logo. Tie a bow to one side of the drink holder. I ended up liking the Happy Mother's Day tag on the ribbon itself so I moved it there.
 Step 5: Wait, you are done! It is so cute and simple that you will want to keep it for yourself.
Do you want to use this idea as a teacher appreciation gift? Here are a few ideas to go along with it:

"Thank you for helping me grow this year"
"Thank you for helping my wealth of knowledge bloom"
"Teachers plant the seeds of knowledge that will grow forever"

9 comments: