Friday, April 18, 2008

Insight into Me

Tonight as I sat in an adoption education class, I was taken back. Taken back just over 6 years to when we started the adoption process. Tonight I felt all of those same emotions and the same heartache as I felt then but this time it wasn't for me. It was for all of those couples sitting in the class just starting their adoption journey. I just wanted to be their friend, a support, someone they could ask any question they might have, someone to be there for them when they were having a hard day. I hope they meet someone in the classes who can be just that for them.

My friend, Laurie, gave one of the presentations and as many times as I had heard it before, something stuck out to me today more than it ever has before. She said that she feels like no one really knows her unless they know she is infertile because that is something that is such a big part of her (Laurie, hopefully I quoted you right :-) It just got me thinking about how much that really has affected my life and what a big part that has played in who I am today. Does that mean that it defines me? No. But it has changed me in a way that nothing else truly, dare I say, ever will. It is what brought us to adoption. Adoption is something so near and dear to my heart and I am grateful for it each and every day. We are blessed to have two open adoptions that have taught me so much about love and selflessness. The Boy & The Girl's birth families are some of the most wonderful people we have every met. I seriously could go on and on about it.

I guess what I am saying is look forward to more adoption/infertility related posts because, just as Laurie said, it is part of me. You can't really know me without knowing that about me and well, I might as well share. And what better place then here on my bloggity blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment