Monday, November 10, 2008

If I Could Talk to Them

Nearly half (45 percent) of the 6.4 million pregnancies in 2004 occurred among unmarried women. Pregnancy totals among unmarried women increased from over 2.7 million in 1990 to over 2.8 million in 2004.

For unmarried women, 35 % of these pregnancies ended in abortion.


In 2007, less than 1% of these women opted for adoption.

Taken from Vital Statistics Report Released April 14, 2008

http://www.cdc.gov/


Whenever I hear of someone who is dealing with an unwanted pregnancy and is considering abortion, I just want to scream. And lately I feel like I have had a few too many conversations about this with family and friends. My heart starts pounding, my hands get sweaty and I wish that I could just talk to them for a few minutes and let them know that there are other options for them. I wish I could help them feel a little less panicked and a little more hopeful. But most importantly I wish they could see the benefit of choosing life even though they might not be ready for all that that entails. If I could talk to them for just a few moments I would tell them what a positive option adoption can be. And if I could do that, then maybe I wouldn't feel like screaming so much lately. And maybe I would feel a little less out of control when it comes to adoption. This is when I can't look at the statistics, rather I just have to remind myself that adoptions do happen and each and every one is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment