Thursday, November 13, 2008

it's about love

You are more than welcome to steal this if you leave a comment and link it to itsaboutlove.org! :-)

I am so excited for the new itsaboutlove.org website which will be ready by the end of the year. It is going to be so much better for birth families to search and view adoptive families. And the best part is that the stories and Q&A's are all from actual birth families and adoptive families.

And our family will be one of them!

I just saw the beta version and you will definitely see our little faces on there. I promise I'll let you know when it goes live so that you can check it out. But, in the meantime, add a link for itsaboutlove.org on your blog, website, facebook, myspace or wherever. Don't worry. I'll wait.


Whew. Thanks.

Now, for today's adoption post, I thought I would share this article.


by Eve Burch

This is the part that stood out to me in the article so if you can only read this do it. But the whole article is definitely a good one.

A little background. . .written by an adoptee who reconnected with her birth mother after many years through a letter and then over the phone. Karen is the birth mother.

"Karen called me as promised. We spent what seemed like an eternity on the phone together. Like her parents, she wanted to know all about me, my family, and the life I had led."

"She shared with me how difficult it had been to place me for adoption and the struggles and uncertainties she had experienced since that day, wondering if she had made the right choice. She wanted to emphasize that she did not let me go because she didn’t want me or love me. She had felt strongly that I was meant to be someone else’s baby."

"At that point, I did what I had always promised myself I would do if I were ever given the opportunity. I thanked her from the bottom of my heart for the decision she had made and for giving me a loving, active Latter-day Saint family. I told her that, through her sacrifice, she had allowed me to have everything I valued in my life. "
"Karen did not respond. At first, I was uncertain if I had said something wrong. Then I realized she was sobbing. It took a few minutes, but she was then able to share with me a special experience. In the years since my birth, she had often felt worried and anxious about me and would sometimes get depressed. During one of these periods she received a blessing of comfort from a family friend. He said many things in the blessing, but one promise stood out. She was told that at some future time, either in this life or in the life to come, we would meet again and I would thank her for the choice and sacrifice she had made. Our conversation that night was a direct fulfillment of that promise."

"Even though Karen and I were miles apart, the Spirit bore witness to both of us that her choice and my growing up in the family I did were all in accordance with Heavenly Father’s plan."

I love this for so many reasons. First off, the love that was and always has been there. Birth families do not stop loving the child that was placed for adoption. They think about them often. They love them to pieces and they yearn to know what is going on in their lives. How thankful I am for open adoption for those reasons. I also love the adoptee's view because she loves her family and also recognizes her birth mothers role in allowing her life to be what it is. And I love the love and respect that everyone has for each other. Her, her parents, and her birth mother. Love encompasses all to make such a wonderful relationship possible.

Adoption IS indeed about love.

No comments:

Post a Comment