Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tri'ing Hard

You may or may not have noticed on my side bar that I am training for the Women of Steel Triathlon at the end of May.

It is coming up quicker than I dare admit.

Let me back track a moment to the 1/2 marathon that my friends talked me into because that is really what got me started.

THE SHORT STORY

Our team didn't get into the lottery for the 1/2 marathon and I have to say that I was somewhat relieved even though I had already started the C25K. Some of our family (L's birth family) did get in and a few of my friends still ran in charity slots. They just amaze me.

I started cycling for some extra cardio to go along with the C25K for the 1/2 marathon training (which let's be honest...I should have started with the coffin to 5K. lol). I wanted a reason to get back into shape and it definitely gave me a reason. I fell in love with cycling and made some great new friends from class that I am so lucky to have gotten to known. These fabulous friends talked me into signing up for the sprint triathlon. And so the training began.

Cycling. Running. Swimming.
A few things you should know:

1) I don't know how to swim.

2) I hate having water on my face even in the shower.

3) Swimming is something you should learn as a kid when you have no fear.

4) Clip in shoes are hard to get used to.

5) You should always carry tools when cycling.

6) Running with "the girls" is hard.

7) Running shoes don't come girly in monster foot sizes. Especially when said running shoes should be a size bigger than normal.

I never thought in my entire life that I would be learning to swim in my 30's. Let alone signing up for a triathlon. It has pushed me to 'tri' things that I never would have. I am almost feeling like I may not drowned in the first 10 minutes and might actually make it to the parts that I feel like I can survive.

Oh the stories I have to share.

4 comments:

  1. Leish - You're freaking amazing and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect anyone that can run farther than a 5K! You are amazing! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are amazing! I hate water too and can't really swim! You are brave!!! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Leisha! That is a huge accomplishment...I so need to get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete